Saturday, May 26, 2007

Hobby Collector...

The more I thought about blogging and what I would write, the more I realized that I'm a hobby collector and I blame it totally on my Mother. Plain and simple, it's all her fault.

She was the one who taught me how to: Crochet, Sew, Cross-Stitch, Embroider, Needlepoint and a slew of other crafts. As an adult, I had to get "one up on her" and learned how to do Needle Punch, Wool Rug Hooking, Needle Felt, and Tole Painting among a slew of others and most recently, Knitting. I've become pretty obsessive about knitting (just ask Kate and Sarah - my 2 teachers and enablers).

While pondering my jumping in with both feet on all these crafts, I've realized that I've become the Teacher (when did I become my Mother)? My daughter has learned how to Needle Punch (has her OWN set of punches), Needle Felt, Paint and is starting to Knit AND we've picked up a few new ones like Beading. And since paybacks CAN be fun, I've introduced my Mother to Needle Punch and Needle Felt and of course, she's hooked (and blames ME!)

My wonderful Husband just chuckles because each wall of my "studio" is dedicated to a different discipline - you need to go around the room at LEAST twice to cover all of them!

I think my crafts are like cycles in my life. I alternate between them like seasons of the year where some seasons last longer than others and we enjoy more. My craft friends laugh at me because I'm pretty structured on how I craft (no ufo's) - heck with ALL these different crafts to do, how could I afford to have tons of ufo's in each craft! So, I usually have one 'main' project of a discipline in the works with a 2nd one - usually a "mobile" one to take with me where ever I go and finish one before moving on to the next. Now, let's be serious, doesn't mean I don't purchase "stash" supplies for future projects!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Yay! You finally have a blog!

DK said...

I'm proud to be your enabler, of course. ;-)

What the heck is Tole Painting?

Paige said...

I feel like I don't even speak this language!

quiltnstitc said...

Good Friday morning and this is one time I am "Proud" to have all the blame placed on my big big shoulders.

How about adding KIBITZING to that wonderful list of hobbies.